Whether you’re a makeup beginner or a pro, you’ve probably heard of contouring. Contouring is a makeup technique that uses light and shadow to give the illusion of more dimension to your face.
It can be used to make your nose look smaller, your cheekbones look higher, and your jawline look sharper. If you’re curious about how to contour your face in 2023, read on for a step-by-step guide.
Tools Of The Trade
When it comes to facial contouring, there are a few key tools that you will need in order to create the perfect look. These include a quality foundation, concealer, powder, and bronzer. By having these key products on hand, you will be able to create a flawless, contoured look that accentuates your best features.
When picking out a foundation, it is important to choose one that matches your skin tone perfectly. This will ensure that your contouring looks natural and not too heavy-handed.
A good concealer is also essential for hiding any blemishes or imperfections on the skin. Once you have applied your concealer, bronzer and foundation, you can then begin to powder your face. This will help set everything in place and create a smooth canvas for you to work with.
By following these simple steps, you will be able to achieve a beautiful contoured look that enhances your natural beauty.
Assuming you would like a step-by-step guide on how to contour your face:
1. Decide where to place your facial features. This will help you know where to put your highlight and shadow. Generally, you want to put your highlight above your cheekbones, down the center of your nose, on your cupid’s bow, and in the inner corner of your eye. Your shadow will go below your cheekbones, along the sides of your nose, under your bottom lip, and in the crease of your eyelid.
2. Pick the right products. You want a cream or concealer that is two shades darker than your natural skin tone for bronzing or shading and a product that is two shades lighter than your natural skin tone for highlighting.
3. Apply primer all over your face to create an even base for makeup application.
4. Apply a light concealer that is one shade lighter than your natural skin tone; apply it under your eyes and blend it outwards. Then, apply it to any other areas of your face that you want to highlight, such as the center of your forehead, down the center of your nose, on your cupid’s bow, and in the inner corners of your eyes. Blend everything out with a beauty sponge or brush.
5. Using a bronzer that is two shades darker than your natural skin tone, apply it along your hairline, under your cheekbones, along the sides of your nose, and under your chin. Blend everything out with a beauty sponge or brush.
6. Then, apply your light or medium-coverage foundation using a beauty blender.
7. Set everything in place with loose powder.
8. To add an extra dimension to your look, apply a highlighter to the areas of your face that you want to pop, such as the tops of your cheekbones, down the center of your nose, on your cupid’s bow, and in the inner corners of your eyes. Blend everything out with a beauty sponge or brush.
9. Finish off by applying some blush to the apples of your cheeks and a lip color of your choice. And there you have it! By following these simple steps, you will be able to achieve a beautiful contoured look that enhances your natural beauty.
If you think it seems complicated, you have a good step-by-step guide video here on how to apply contour (made by Nina Ubhi).
There are a few common mistakes made when contouring the face. One of the most common is overdoing it. When you first start out, it’s best to use a light hand and build up the product gradually. It’s also important to make sure you blend well so there are no harsh lines.
Another mistake is using the wrong products. Make sure you use a product that is easy to blend, and that isn’t too heavy or cakey. Finally, avoid choosing colors that are too dark or too light for your skin tone. Choose a shade that is two shades darker than your natural skin tone for the best results.
Face contouring is a great way to enhance your natural features and create a more defined look. By following the steps in this guide, you’ll be able to contour your face like a pro in no time. And with the help of the right products, you can achieve a beautiful, sculpted look that will make you feel confident and radiant. So what are you waiting for? Start contouring today!
If you are interested in even more makeup-related articles and information from us here at Makeup By Kili, then we have a lot to choose from.